Most people think of pollution as being only confined to the outdoors. However, the air inside your home or business is more contaminated than outside. Your heating and air units are responsible for cleaning the air that circulates within your home. Common pollutants are dust and dander from pets, but there are many others that contribute to poor air quality. Good indoor air quality is important for both you and your family’s health!
Pollutants in Your Home
Many things can contaminate your home and make your air quality poor. These contaminants often appear at a higher level indoors than outdoors due to lack of ventilation. Air quality pollutants in your home may include:
- Pet dander and pet hair
- Chemical fumes from candles, perfumes, and air fresheners
- Chemical fumes from cleaning products
- Mold and mildew
- Dirt and Dust mites
- Smoke, both from cooking and smoking
- Exhaust fumes from attached garages
- VOC’s from paint and other items
- Composites from home furniture
Ways to Improve Your Indoor Air Quality
Understanding what types of pollutants are in your home can help improve your indoor air quality. Cleaning routinely keeps dust and pet dander under control. Changing your cleaning products to natural ones can also keep contaminates down. Not smoking in your home also helps to prevent smoke from clinging to your coils inside your HVAC unit or from clogging the air filter.
Importance of HVAC Unit Maintenance
Proper maintenance of your HVAC unit can also prevent pollutants from coming into your home. Here are a few tips to improve your IAQ:
- Air filters are responsible for trapping pollutants before the air is pumped back into your home. If your air filter is dirty, it cannot efficiently clean your air. Most air filters require replacing after a certain time. If your filter is too far gone, you may need to schedule AC repair with a professional.
- Evaporator coils collect condensation, which enables the growth of mold and mildew in your unit. This mold and mildew is then pumped back into your home through the ventilation system. With AC repair, Estes Services will perform a coil cleaning to take care of any mold that might be growing in your HVAC unit.
Products to Help Improve Your Air
Aside from proper cleaning of your home, AC repair, and maintenance on your heating and air unit, you can also achieve quality indoor air through these products:
- Dehumidifier for keeping humidity down and preventing mold or mildew growth
- An air cleaner to extract extra pollutants from your air that your filter might have missed
If you are ready to make a change in your indoor air quality, call Estes Services today! We have quality heating and air units, dehumidifiers, and air cleaners to make your home healthy. Our skilled HVAC professionals are also able to assist you with any AC repair. Don’t continue to breathe the pollutants in your home; call Estes Services today to set up a consultation!