Homeowners don’t always notice when something is wrong with their heating and cooling system until it’s too late. Combine inconvenient breakdowns with rising temperatures, and you will experience more stress and sweat throughout the summer. Estes Services wants Georgia residents to be able to spot the HVAC red flags when it comes to an air conditioner’s performance.
By knowing warning signs, you can determine if the problem is an easy DIY fix or if you need to call the professionals at Estes Services. Aside from paying attention to your air conditioner, it’s best to schedule preventive maintenance at least twice a year. This will catch problems early and reduce the risk of an expensive HVAC repair in the future.
Odd Noises Are HVAC Red Flags
Your air conditioner will exhibit different noises indicating an imminent problem. If you notice strange sounds when your air conditioner is running, starts up or shuts down, call Estes Services. Air conditioners are designed to perform quietly so when a noise is heard; a mechanical failure might be the cause. Different sounds point to various HVAC red flags with your cooling system, such as:
- Humming Noises. Do you have loose components in your air conditioner? Call an HVAC professional immediately to assess the situation. Humming indicates more significant HVAC red flags with the motor or loose wiring, which can be a fire hazard.
- Buzzing Noises. If you think you hear a bee when your air conditioner is running, there are multiple reasons for the noise. Buzzing noises can occur when something simple, such as debris, restricts airflow in your outdoor unit. It can also point to a serious electrical issue. You can try to clear out any debris around your exterior unit and if the buzzing stops, great! If the noise continues, call an HVAC professional to assess the problem and suggest the best way to fix it.
- Squealing Noises. If there is an issue with your fan motor or blower there will be a squealing noise. This noise is one of the HVAC red flag warnings that one of these parts are close to calling it quits and need replacing. Estes Services will quickly replace exhausted parts and leave you with an AC unit operating efficiently at the end of the day.
Smells Are Other HVAC Red Flags of Warning
The most common odors are:
- Musty Smells. Mold or mildew odors coming from your air conditioner indicate moisture isn’t draining properly and draining into your ducts. The easy fix is to call and schedule a duct inspection with a licensed professional from Estes Services.
- Rotten Eggs. When an air conditioner emits a sulfur odor or a rotten egg smell it signals there is a natural gas leak. Because natural gas is odorless on its own the gas company adds the sulfur odor for your protection. If you smell something rotten when your cooling system is operating, open the windows and get out of the house.Then call the gas company to inspect the leak and Estes Services to assess if your air conditioner needs to be repaired. If there’s a leak, the colorless, odorless and potentially lethal carbon monoxide gas may be spreading through your home as well. Take these HVAC red flags seriously!
Listening for noises and taking notice of strange smells when your air conditioner is running will allow you to save money and even save your life. Contact Estes Services if you suspect any of the above warning signs before it’s too late. Our NATE-certified technicians are licensed and experienced. They are trained to deal with any HVAC red flags you notice at home with your HVAC system.