Do you have constant plumbing stoppages in your home or on your property? If so, you may have roots growing inside your lines. Before you have to call an emergency plumber, you should take preventative steps to fight tree root problems. When you need repair, search for local plumbers from trusted plumbing companies near you.
Tree Root Problems
The roots of a tree soak up water and other nutrients around them in order to grow the tree. When trees are planted near or around sewer lines, the roots begin to grow and seek out the nutrients found inside the pipe. If there are any leaks or breaks in the line, the root is able to get inside and start growing inside the pipe. Tree roots cause damaged and broken pipes that plumbing contractors are trained to deal with.
Types of pipes more vulnerable to root intrusion are:
- Clay pipes, found in older homes, are more fragile and have weaker joints.
- Cast iron pipes are strong and can corrode over time, allowing roots to enter through the corroded area.
- PVC and ABS pipes have glued joints and can still develop cracks or broken joints over time.
Diagnosing the Problem
If you are experiencing constant plumbing issues from your sewer lines to your home, that could indicate a tree root intrusion. Calling plumbing companies and having a local plumber come inspect your lines is the best option for diagnosis. Another indicator that tree roots may be growing into your plumbing is if you live in a highly concentrated, wooded area. Large trees close to your home can grow into and inside of your lines quickly.
Tree Root Solutions
- Plumbing contractors can use chemical herbicides to kill any roots that are growing inside the line, but this solution is only temporary.
- Local plumbers can snake the line to mechanically remove the tree roots, but this is a temporary solution.
- A plumbing contractor can remove the damaged pipe completely for a permanent solution.
When tree root penetrations cause sewer line blockages, your only option is for an emergency plumber to assist you. Contact Estes Services, day or night, for an emergency plumber or plumbing service. We are a trusted plumbing company servicing homeowners in and around the Atlanta area for close to 70 years!