Homeowners and business owners should be knowledgeable when it comes to their HVAC systems. Knowing the top 10 terms used in the heating and cooling industry can help when purchasing a new unit or when the need for an HVAC unit repair arises.
Top 10 Terms:
- HVAC is the term used to refer to heating, ventilation, and air conditioning.
- The air filter purifies particles of dust, soot, toxins, and allergens. Air filters should be replaced every 3 to 12 months for optimum efficiency in your HVAC unit, depending on the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- A thermostat is the main control unit for an HVAC system. There are a few different types of thermostats that can be used with heating and cooling systems, such as manual, programmable, and smart thermostat.
- A heat pump is a system that transfers heat to cool down or heat up a home. It can be air sourced or ground sourced with geothermal energy.
- AFUE is the measurement of annual fuel utilization efficiency of heating equipment per year. The higher the AFUE rating, the greater efficiency.
- The SEER rating is the seasonal energy efficiency ratio. It measures how efficient an air conditioner is and all AC units must have a SEER rating of 10 or higher.
- The MERV rating is the minimum efficiency reporting value, which rates the efficiency of furnace filters with 1 as the lowest and 16 as the highest.
- The HSPF is the heating seasonal performance factor that shows the efficiency of heat pumps. The HSPF should be 8 or higher for an efficient heat pump.
- HVAC maintenance, also known as preventative maintenance, is used to keep an HVAC system running smoothly and efficiently. HVAC maintenance also prolongs the lifespan of a unit. A service that would fall under HVAC maintenance is the changing of the air filter in a system.
- HVAC unit repair and HVAC service are interchangeable in the HVAC industry. when a system has a malfunction or has stopped working completely, an HVAC unit repair is necessary. HVAC service or repair can be costly for homeowners and businesses.
Knowing these important terms in the heating and cooling industry is helpful to prevent unforeseen HVAC service repairs from occurring. Call Estes Services today and talk to one of our certified technicians for help and answers.