There are many ways to save money on heating and cooling throughout the year. Perhaps the most simple and affordable is by using ceiling fans! When you set the proper ceiling fan direction for summer and winter, your body stays more comfortable, which allows you to reduce the use of your HVAC system and conserve energy.
Our Atlanta HVAC pros share how to properly use ceiling fans each season to improve comfort and lessen reliance on your home’s heating and cooling equipment. For ceiling fan installation service in Atlanta, call Estes Services today!
What Is the Right Ceiling Fan Direction?
Ceiling fan direction in the summer and winter changes based on the effect you want to produce.
- In the summer, set ceiling fans to rotate counterclockwise. This motion pushes air down to blow over bodies below, which creates a windchill effect that helps your body feel cooler.
- During the winter months, set ceiling fans to rotate clockwise. This motion creates an updraft to push the warm air that has risen to the ceiling back down to the occupied space below, which helps your body feel warmer.
Using Ceiling Fans with HVAC Systems
It is important to note that the use of ceiling fans does not improve the efficiency of your heating and cooling system. When used properly, the effects produced by ceiling fans keep home occupants more comfortable, which allows you to cut back on the use of your heating and cooling equipment. Ceiling fans help you reduce household energy consumption, which is what saves you money.
While HVAC systems create heating and cooling, proper ceiling fan usage helps homeowners make better use of the heating and cooling produced by the HVAC system. Ceiling fans themselves do not actually heat or cool your living areas.
To reduce energy consumption and lower heating and cooling bills, only use ceiling fans in rooms that are being occupied. Leaving a ceiling fan on in an unoccupied room just wastes electricity.
You can turn the thermostat settings back by about four degrees to conserve HVAC energy while the effects of the ceiling fan keep you comfortable.
How to Change Ceiling Fan Direction
To set ceiling fan direction for summer and winter, you need to adjust fan rotation each season. This is easily done via the switch on the ceiling fan’s motor casing. Some ceiling fan models come with a remote control which allows you to easily adjust fan blade rotation:
- Press the STOP button on your fan remote.
- Allow the fan blades to come to a complete stop.
- Press the REVERSE button.
- Restart the fan and verify the blades spin in the appropriate direction.
If your model does not have a remote that controls fan blade direction, follow these steps to change the direction of your ceiling fans:
- Turn off the fan and allow the fan blades to completely stop.
- Use a step stool or ladder to reach the ceiling fan unit.
- Locate the direction switch on the fan’s motor casing.
- If the switch is positioned vertically, set the switch in the downward position for counterclockwise blade rotation; set the switch in the upward position for clockwise blade rotation. If the switch is positioned horizontally, set the switch in the left position for counterclockwise blade rotation; set the switch in the right position for clockwise blade rotation.
- Carefully climb down and turn the fan back on.
- Verify that the fan blades rotate in the correct direction.
For Ceiling Fan Installation and Repairs, Call Estes!
Ceiling fans are an affordable tool that help Atlanta homeowners improve heating and cooling efficiency and lower energy bills. Our licensed electricians make reliable repairs to improve the function of your home’s ceiling fans, should you experience problems with their operation. We also install new ceiling fans that deliver improved comfort and functionality throughout all living areas in your home!
Contact us today to schedule service for your home’s ceiling fans or request an estimate for new Atlanta ceiling fan installation.