Need to add just a bit of warmth to achieve comfortable temperatures – if so, you should know how to use space heaters safely. Many Atlanta area homeowners turn to space heaters in the winter for added warmth. Protect yourself, your family, and your home this winter with Estes Services’ professional advice on how to use space heaters safely.
Do You Need a Space Heater?
To ensure comfort while conserving energy, only use a space heater when it makes sense to do so. For total home heating, a space heater is never more energy efficient to operate than your HVAC system. If you just need to heat one room of the home or add supplemental heating in a room, these are appropriate scenarios for space heater use. Just know how to use space heaters safely.
How to Use Space Heaters Safely
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), home heating equipment is the second-leading cause of home fires in the U.S. and the third-leading cause of home fire deaths. Space heaters are responsible for 43 percent of home heating fires and 85 percent of fatalities from home heating fires.
Dangerous operating conditions and usage are responsible for a majority of these preventable fires. Know how to use space heaters safely to prevent a home fire this winter.
- Only use electric space heaters inside your home – this is the only equipment option safe for use indoors.
- Only operate space heaters when the area is occupied by a responsible, awake adult.
- Choose an appropriately sized space heater to heat your desired space.
- Place the unit on stable, level flooring at least three feet away from water and combustible materials such as furniture, curtains, bedding, toys, papers, and other household items.
- Make sure the space heater is properly set up and inspect it for damage before use. Do not use a damaged space heater.
- Always plug the space heater into a wall, do not use power strips. The plug must snugly fit your wall outlet. Never run its cord under carpets, rugs, or Christmas trees.
- Keep children and pets away from the area where the space heater sits.
- Only use the space heater while awake and in the immediate area. Do not use space heaters overnight and turn them off if you must leave the room.
Heating Help from Estes Services
Estes Services wants to keep our Atlanta area neighbors safe and warm this winter. If you experience the need for a space heater quite often, let’s talk about some safer alternatives to keep your family home.
- Ductless heating systems offer targeted warmth independent of your central HVAC system, and send warm air directly into the areas they serve.
- Zoning equipment works with your central heating system, which allows each area of the home to be warmed independently of the others.
- Malfunctioning heating equipment is often the cause of not enough heat. Estes performs heating repair to restore function and full warmth to your living areas.
- Annual heating tune ups give your heating equipment the boost they need to better serve your household – schedule a heating tune up any time.
Don’t wait to call for heating services and solutions that make your home both warmer and safer. Call Estes Services today. We offer HVAC repairs and service for any brand of equipment. Our team is available for emergency service 24/7 if you need us.