Once the weather starts to warm up across the Atlanta area, one thing is often on homeowners’ minds – how to save money on their air conditioning bill! There are many changes you can make to help your cooling system conserve energy, which in turn lowers your energy expenses and utility bills. In our most recent blog, Estes Services shares the tips that generate a welcome reduction on your summertime electricity statements.
Tips for Saving Money on Cooling Costs
When it comes to saving money on air conditioning costs, it’s all about finding ways to reduce the amount of electricity consumed by your central air conditioner. Equipment upgrades and home improvement projects can help with that, as well as finding ways to lessen the load on your cooling system over the spring and summer seasons.
HVAC Upgrades and Care
- Older cooling systems aren’t nearly as energy efficient as newer models. If you’re due for a new AC system, make the switch in spring to instantly reduce the amount of electricity used to cool your home.
- Be sure to schedule your cooling system’s annual maintenance tune up. This service delivers the TLC your AC unit needs to counteract wear and tear and resolve system faults that cause the unit to consume excess electricity while doing its job.
- If you still use a manual thermostat, make the switch and upgrade to a smart or programmable thermostat. These thermostat models help you efficiently schedule air conditioning usage with energy-smart temperature setpoints. You’ll spend less money on cooling costs, especially while you’re away from home.
- Another way to save money on cooling costs is to have your ducts professionally sealed. The average home loses 20 to 30 percent of its heating and cooling energy through gaps and openings in the duct system, which allow conditioned air to exit out of the ducts.
- Replace HVAC filters regularly. During the summer, you may notice the filter needs to be changed more often due to increased usage. Check it each month, and replace when the surface area is covered in contamination. Clean filters allow proper airflow through the cooling system, so your air conditioner isn’t forced to use more energy to circulate air.
- Seal air leaks that allow cool air to escape from your living areas. Weather stripping and caulking are easy and affordable ways to seal up many of the cracks and gaps around the house that cost you money. Make sure windows and doors are closed to prevent cool air from escaping.
- Add insulation to your attic. Especially if you live in an older home, your home likely doesn’t have enough insulation. Raising attic insulation levels can pay for itself in energy savings in just a few years. Improving insulation allows your home to retain more cooling, limiting energy loss.
Reduce Cooling Load
- Close blinds and curtains to prevent solar heat gain during the day. Cover south-facing windows during daylight hours, east-facing windows during the morning hours, and west-facing windows from noon until dark. Preventing the sun from heating up your home is a simple way to save money on air conditioning bill costs.
- Hold off on heat-producing indoor activities until after dark when outdoor temperatures are cooler. Baking, showering, running the dishwasher, drying clothes – these tasks produce a lot of heat which the air conditioner must work to remove. Grill outside or hang laundry to air dry during the day as alternatives.
- Use ceiling fans to help your body feel cooler while giving your air conditioner a break. Run fans in the counterclockwise direction only in occupied rooms to gain a downdraft and wind chill effect that aids in evaporating moisture from your skin more rapidly to keep you cool. The fan’s effects are only beneficial when people are below to feel them, so be sure to turn fans off when everyone leaves a room to prevent further electricity waste.
Improve Air Conditioning Energy Efficiency with Estes Services
Estes Services offers the new equipment you need to boost HVAC efficiency as well as the repair and maintenance services needed to achieve lower energy consumption with your existing air conditioner. For air conditioning installation, repair, maintenance, and other home services that help you save money on air conditioning bill costs while keeping you cool this summer, call Estes Services today!