Regardless of the season or weather, your home’s attic ventilation has the ability to save you money and energy. Most people think of energy efficiency and saving money as only applying to a new heating and air equipment, but ventilation is a major player in savings. Proper ventilation in your attic can affect your home’s temperature and the overall efficiency of your air conditioning and furnace.
Why Ventilate Your Attic
Attics that aren’t ventilated well or at all contribute to the added stress and deterioration of a home’s central heating and air system. During the summer months, the cool air produced by your air conditioner can seep out of your home through the attic. The same happens to the heated air produced by your furnace. With the loss of cooled or heated air from inside your home, the temperature doesn’t stay consistent, causing your air conditioner and furnace to work longer and harder. Attic ventilation is a must when trying to conserve energy and lengthen the life of your air conditioner and furnace.
Benefits of Attic Ventilation
Aside from lengthening the lifespan of your heating and air system, attic ventilation offers additional benefits, such as:
- Increased energy efficiency:
- Even the best central heating and air system needs help when cutting down on wasted energy consumption. Proper attic ventilation keeps warm and cool air inside the home and maintains a more consistent temperature throughout.
- Improved structural integrity:
- When too much heat is trapped inside your attic, it can cause your roof shingles to become dry and brittle. The buildup of heat causes your roof to prematurely age and need replacing sooner than expected.
- Reduces moisture:
- Moisture in the attic can be increased if your air conditioning system isn’t properly dehumidifying the air and vice versa for your heating system. When moisture is trapped in the attic, it can damage the insulation and cost more money in repairs.
Call Estes Services today and find out what exactly your attic needs for proper ventilation. We have experienced and knowledgeable technicians who can inspect your attic with a service call or even while repairing your central heating and air system.