A convenient way to heat up a room when your HVAC system isn’t getting the job done is to use a space heater. Smaller space heaters are commonly used in single rooms to boost room temperature without heating the entire home. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPE) between the months of December and January, close to one-third of home fires are started from incorrect use of space heaters.
When To Use a Space Heater
Typically space heaters are used when your HVAC system isn’t able to maintain warm temperatures throughout your home. Besides figuring out how to heat your home, you should also think about why your current furnace isn’t keeping up with the demands of your home. A furnace’s age can affect its ability to maintain warmth throughout each of your rooms. If your furnace is over 10 years old and not heating your home efficiently, call Estes Services for help. Our technicians will inspect your HVAC system and determine the best course of action to achieve ideal temperatures in your home. Until your furnace problems are resolved, a space heater might be a viable option for the moment.
Types of Space Heaters
- Gas space heaters
- Wood burning heaters
- Portable electric space heaters
- Kerosene space heaters
How to Heat Your Home
To ensure proper and safe operation of a space heater, follow these safety tips for how to heat your home:
- Follow the operating instructions that came with the space heater
- Keep doors open to stop pollutants from building up, promoting proper combustion
- Make sure your space heater is correctly sized for the area you want to heat
- Keep pets and children away while the space heater is hot
- Don’t let children adjust the controls on the heater or move it
- Don’t run a space heater while you are asleep or away from the house
- Keep flammable liquids away from a space heater
- Buy a space heater that has been tested and certified by a nationally recognized testing laboratory
- Purchase a space heater that has a protective guard around the flame or the heating element
If you are concerned about how to heat your home when your furnace isn’t getting the job done, a space heater might be a good option. Call Estes Services to have your HVAC system checked out in case there is a problem with your furnace’s heating capabilities.