Winter temperatures can be difficult to manage if your thermostat isn’t placed in a good location. A bad thermostat location can also increase your monthly energy bill. Estes Services offers great thermostat tips to keep your central heating and air system operating efficiently this winter.
Wrong Thermostat Placement
Installing your programmable thermostat in the wrong place can be disastrous for your heating and cooling system’s efficiency. These are some thermostat installation areas that prevent your system from delivering consistent temperatures throughout your home:
- Thermostats in direct sunlight run the risk of giving false readings to your heating and cooling system.
- Placing a thermostat above air vents or near them will cause the warm or cool air to hit it first thing and skew readings.
- Kitchens are one of the warmest places in your home. A thermostat in the kitchen will get constant readings that are higher than the rest of your house.
- Hallways aren’t an ideal place for your programmable thermostat either since no one actually lives in the hallway. A reading from the hallway won’t be a true measure of the temperature needed for each room in your house.
- Doors and windows bring constant drafts into your home and affect a thermostat’s reading – programmable thermostats shouldn’t be placed nearby.
Correct Thermostat Placement
You want to install your thermostat in the optimal location inside your home. Install your thermostat on an interior wall, away from anything that might cause your thermostat to give false readings. A thermostat near the center of your home, possibly where most of the family’s activity happens, will provide excellent readings for the rest of your house. When your programmable thermostat is placed in a prime location, your central heating and air system will operate at its highest performance. Installation of a programmable thermostat or smart thermostat increases your system’s efficiency greatly compared to a standard manual thermostat.
Give your central heating and air unit the best chance to keep your family warm this winter! Install a programmable thermostat in a place where your system can run efficiently year round. Contact Estes Services for help with installation of your thermostat and other heating and cooling needs.