Have you heard your friends or family talking about smart homes, but aren’t entirely sure what they mean by it? Or maybe you’ve seen smart appliances for sale when you go shopping. Smart home technology is a term you’re going to continue hearing more frequently in the coming years as more homes and businesses across Atlanta, GA, turn to home automation.
But what exactly does home automation or smart home technology mean? In our most recent blog, the electricians at Estes Services discuss what smart home technology is, its benefits and why you may want to consider contacting us to connect your home’s appliances, electronics, and other devices. For all of your home’s electrical needs, contact Estes today.
What is Smart Home Technology?
In general terms, smart home technology refers to appliances or electronic devices such as thermostats and home entertainment systems that have been fitted with communication technology that allows homeowners to communicate with them either through remote control or automation. These devices are connected to the internet and allow homeowners to control them from smartphones, laptops or tablets.
Smart device installation is accessed through a mobile app or website portal, which allows homeowners to monitor devices, system usage and manage any adjustments online. Smart devices collect useful data that can help homeowners make energy-conscious decisions for their homes.
One popular example of home automation is smart home lighting. Smart home lighting gives you the power to control your indoor and outdoor lighting system from anywhere in the world. If you’re away on vacation, you can turn the lights to give the appearance that people are home.
Smart home technology may also include:
- Appliances, including garage door openers, refrigerators and thermostats
- Home entertainment systems
- Home security systems
- Video monitoring
- Heating and cooling systems
- Smoke alarms
- Smart plugs, which allow you to turn lights and devices on and off
Home automation is extremely convenient, but it can be difficult for the average homeowner to set up themselves. The setup requires an electrician to install a device and integrate it with your home’s smart home devices, which can be confusing and time-consuming.
With smart system installation services from Estes Services, you can remove the possibility of errors and potential hours of confusion! Our Atlanta electricians perform smart device installation for a variety of systems and product manufacturers to help you create the convenient and efficient modern home of your dreams.
Benefits of Smart Home Technology
The benefits of smart home technology are endless, and the technology is expected to improve even more during the coming years.
Whether it’s running your washing machine while you’re at work, turning down your thermostat on a cold, winter’s day, or being notified when someone rings your doorbell, smart technology comes with loads of advantages.
Having smart home technology installed allows Atlanta homeowners to:
- Decrease energy bills. Much of the energy savings with home automation comes from the ability to control your home’s lighting and heating and cooling system when you’re not at home. If you’re away from home for the weekend in the middle of the summer, you can change the temperature setting from 72 to 78 degrees to save money on your energy bill. Smart home technology will, in many cases, lead to increased energy-efficiency and convenience.
- Keep an eye on pets and family. Through the use of motion detection, smart locks, and video monitoring, homeowners can keep tabs on their kids, elderly parents, or pets while they’re at the house alone.
- Have complete control of their devices. Smart home technology gives homeowners complete control over their devices from the palm of their hand. Whether it’s turning the lights on while you’re driving home, turning on the coffee maker before you leave your bedroom, or turning the thermostat up so you won’t freeze when you get out of bed in the morning, the opportunities are endless. You can fully operate your home even while you’re away!
- Remote monitoring. Monitoring your systems remotely provides real-time monitoring of your home. Whether it’s through video feeds, alerts from your fire or carbon monoxide alarm, or notifications from your home alarm system, you’ll have peace of mind knowing your family and home are safe from dangers.
- Motion detection. Motion detection can alert you of any suspicious activity around your property. This technology also saves energy by only activating, or turning on, when someone is there.
- Answer the door from anywhere. With a smart doorbell, you’ll be notified immediately when someone rings your doorbell. Some smart doorbells allow you to see the person and even talk directly to them. These types of systems deter thieves because they know they are on video.
Contact Estes Services for Smart Home Installation Service
Make sure to contact Estes Services to help you make the most of your house with smart device installation. Our technicians are expertly trained when it comes to installing different brands and models of smart home devices. To take advantage of the benefits of a smart home, including a smart thermostat and security cameras to protect your house, reach out to Estes. Contact us today to schedule service for installation, setup and integration, and turn your home into a smart home in no time!