Mold is a pain, especially when it gets inside your HVAC system! There are two reasons you might have a moldy HVAC system: there might be moisture from condensation or you might have too much moisture inside your home. If you are unsure if you have mold in your HVAC system, call Estes Services and have a professional inspect your system. Be aware of the signs of mold and how to prevent mold growth in your heating and cooling system.
Signs of a Moldy HVAC System
If you think mold might be an issue in your heating and cooling unit, address the problem right away. Here are a few signs that point to a moldy HVAC system, such as:
- You see mold in or around the drip pans, air ducts, or intake vents.
- You notice a strong mildew smell in your house.
- You or your loved ones are always sneezing, coughing, or congested.
- You or your loved ones experience nausea, fatigue, or headaches.
- Rashes begin to form on your skin.
- Anyone experiences irritation around the eyes, nose, or throat
How to Prevent Mold in Your HVAC System
Preventing mold growth is easier and less expensive than removing it. If you are concerned you already have mold in your HVAC system, the best solution is to call a professional to have your system checked and cleaned. The best options for stopping mold growth before it becomes a problem are:
- Replace your air filter at least once every three months.
- Reduce condensation by insulating your air ducts.
- Call a professional at Estes Services to have your ducts inspected and cleaned at least twice a year.
- Dry wet spots from condensation, leaks, or spills, within 24 hours.
- Clean your drip pans to reduce the chance of mold growth in the pooled water.
- Invest in a dehumidifier to reduce condensation and keep humidity low in your home.
Don’t get stuck with a moldy HVAC system, contact Estes Services. Our professionals will inspect your unit and clean any mold before it becomes an even bigger problem.